Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food is Expensive

What is the deal with groceries? Why is it so expensive to eat? I don't really have an answer and I don't have very many good ideas on how to save, beyond coupons. But side note - it irritates me, A LOT, when the grocery item you want is still crazy expensive even with the coupon. Or when the store brand is still cheaper than the coupon + the brand you want. Do they think we're that stupid? Maybe.

Anyway, I don't have the answer to saving money on groceries (without spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to find the best deals in town each week). But I do have two tiny tips.

1. The Dollar Tree (at least around here) carries bread. The GOOD bread. Yay! However, just be careful not to go in with the intention to buy bread and come out with $20.00 worth of stuff. Easy to do. Also, buying your bread here is a little bit of a pain. For instance, today I went to buy bread and there were two very long lines. And of course, I picked the wrong one. How is it that I always pick the wrong line? And the woman behind me was smacking on her chewing gum in an exorbitantly loud manner. Of course. But I save $2 every time I buy bread here. That adds up.

2. I've stopped buying bottled water. For the time being. I actually like to buy bottled water. It makes me more likely to drink it. But I can get it out of the faucet for free (relatively). The hubby has started to notice so I'm not sure how long I can get away with it, but for now I'm saving several buckaroos a month.

That's all I've got today. If I think of any more, I'll be sure to let you know. Can't wait 'til the good fruit is in season again!

"And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin' it so much, I cut that grass for free." ~Forrest Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment